Monday, March 26, 2012

Pedi appointment and I'm sick AGAIN

Cam had her 6 month pediatrician appointment today. She got her last set of shots until she turns a year old!! She has had so many shots, through all her days in the NICU, her synagis shots, and her well baby vaccinations, she has had way too many shots in her short life. I am so happy that she is done for 6 months! She did great though and calmed right down. She was 10 pounds 13 ounces and 22 1/4 inches long. Her height was about 10th percentile, weight was almost 25th, and head circumference was 50th (all for adjusted age, not actual). Her head is huge! But she has great head control so it's okay, we just know she is all brains ;) Her doctor was very happy with her growth and development as usual. Once again she says everything looks perfect and Cam got a totally clean bill of health! We go back for an official weight check in 6 weeks and our next real appointment is at the end of June. At that time we will discuss having another echocardiogram done on Cameron's heart to make sure her PDA is closed. And the pediatrician would like us to start feeding her solids in one month! I am excited to start doing that, I think it's going to be a lot of fun! I think that's about all we discussed. Not much exciting news but that's okay, it just means she's healthy as usual!

I on the other hand am not healthy. I have ANOTHER cold. This is the FIFTH time I've been sick this winter. I have never been sick this much in one winter. I had strep in December, the flu earlier this month, and a total of three colds. As most people know, we are on "winter quarantine". Cameron is not allowed to go out to public places like grocery stores, restaurants, churches, large family gatherings, etc until RSV season is over. And since Cameron never goes out of the house, obviously I don't get out much either. It seems that every time I go out and do anything at all, I end up getting sick two days later. I think this whole winter quarantine thing is backfiring in a way, I'm not a scientist but here is my theory. I am not going out and about into the world being exposed to this winter's germs so I'm not building up any immunity to them like I normally would on a day to day basis. So on the rare occasion that I do get out, I get sick without fail. I have no immunities to this year's germs so any little thing I pick up gets me sick. Ugh. I can't wait until flu/cold/RSV seasons is officially over. Luckily, Cameron has yet to get sick from me. If I weren't breast feeding it might be a different story but that is one of the huge benefits of breast milk. The antibodies that I produce against an illness when I get sick enter my breast milk within 24 hours so in the case that Cameron picks up germs from me, she will already be getting the antibodies to kill it off. The trouble would be if she got sick first, obviously I would not be producing any antibodies against that specific illness for her but thankfully that hasn't happened. Anyways, I'm not sure about cold/flu season but RSV season is officially over at the end of April (I'd guess cold/flu season ends around the same time) and it can't get here any sooner!!

1 comment:

  1. Glad everything went well at her appointment, that's awesome about being done with shots for a while. And I was wondering when you were going to start solids with her, we'll probably be starting around the same time!
    Feel better, too! I'm just starting to get over my cold, it sucks!

    ReplyDelete